OK, a few words about myself as a person (KiTT is the acronym from the first letters of my names).
I was born in 1976, my parents gave me the name of a Greek philosopher (or was it an emperor) – Konstantin. But I am not from Greece
My first and most stable passion was photography (I have many others, but they shift a lot). First I have started to take photos when I was 6 or 7 years of age and my first camera was Smena 8M
It was a sturdy small camera and I managed to take quite well focused images with it.
But then, at the age of 9 it was time to go Pro – with interchangeable lenses, light meters, external flash… It was time for Zenith
And I stuck to it till I bought my first digital point-and-shoot Canon A630 almost 20 years later
Then it was time for Canon S3, then Canon 400D
…list to be continued
But, this is enough info for my cameras.
Let’s say a few words about me as a founder of the Image Configuration services
Some time ago (to be more precise in 2008) I have decided to build my own stock photography platform – Photobeluga, but with a difference.
I find the present model of stock photography outdated and not efficient anymore. This model needs to be shaken by a revolution! And here are my reasons – for some of my projects outside Photobeluga I used to buy images from the big stock photos platforms. Some of these images took me literally hours to find and even then I was not entirely happy with the results. So I was thinking “Why is it so hard to get the right images. Millions of images out there and yet I don’t find the right ones. There should be a better way.”
I had some ideas at that time (2008), but they were raw and rough and they needed to ripe. I started to build the platform and I did it the hard way, a lot of learning by doing and this kind of wise stuff…
Now in 2012 I think I have reached a point, when I can be proud of what I have live and running online. I admit it is pretty close to the model of 99design.com By the way I am extremely happy with their services – one of their designers have created for me the wonderful logo with the smiling beluga. Close and yet with a difference:
- we talk here about photography, not design
- the licensing is quite different
- the price is not fixed, but is flexibly defined by the customer or the photographer or is reached after some negotiation between parties (I am a supporter of the free market principles)
- the clients are different – it is funny that 99design suppliers are actually my potential customers, so we are not competitors with their business in any way. Unless I decide some day to include vectors to Photobeluga services
I decided to call the service Image configuration, because the process reminds me of configuring a hardware configuration – but instead of choosing different components you can define the different aspects of your image:
- content (you can describe literally what you want to see in the photo and even provide referential images through links)
- technical requirements (here you can set the print size, resolution, dpi, color profile, bits, image orientation, digital manipulation – yes or no)
- the purpose, for which the Image is intended (webdesign, POSM, photo for print or web article, traveler guide, calendar, etc.)
You can also set some details, related more to the process, than to the photo itself:
- the deadline for submitting the images by the photographers
- the maximum price you are willing to pay for a single image
- the type of licensing you need – royalty free, exclusive, or both types
Even after submitting the brief you still can adjust your image on a later stage – when photographers have already uploaded some images – you can still ask for various adjustments.
Ahhh, it became too much commercial and I intended to keep it personal
OK, some more key facts about me (again as a person):
I am a nomad by heart and enjoy travelling a lot… Good wine and tasty food I always enjoy, but I can do pretty much the same with a sandwich and plain water…I am a cinema addict, definitely…(since the time I started doing photography)…. I enjoy reading, but less time for that in the last 15 years or so…I am gadgets and technology freak and I really believe that the invention of internet changed radically life on Earth…Mountain hiking is my favorite physical activity… I also enjoy history of art and history in general.
I will rather stop here. Anyway you will know me better after reading the blog further… and hopefully by using Photobeluga image configuration services